Pediatric experts at the Concussion Program at Children's Hospital Colorado evaluate and treat children, teens and young athletes who have sustained concussions and other mild brain injuries.
The Concussion Program brings together doctors, neuropsychologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, athletic trainers, and a variety of specialists from different departments to provide the most comprehensive care.
Learn more about concussion signs, symptoms, tests and treatment.
Why choose the Concussion Program at Children’s Colorado?
At Children’s Colorado, we see thousands of youth each year who have suffered a mild brain injury. Our Concussion Program services range from same-day or next-day medical consultation for concussions, to helping decide when athletes can return to play, to comprehensive evaluation and management after an injury.
About our experts and research
The primary concussion team includes board-certified experts in Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation and Neuropsychology. A wide range of additional specialists are readily available for consultation as needed, making Children’s Colorado an excellent choice for youth who have suffered a concussion.
Members of our team are also engaged in numerous research projects focused on understanding brain injury and how best to help children and teens recover. Their work has been published in multiple medical and neuropsychological books and journals.
News and articles about concussion from our experts
Experts in the Orthopedic Institute’s Concussion Program provide families, coaches and patients with information to help clarify common issues related to concussion. Topics include identifying the initial signs of a concussion and getting kids and teens back to school and on the field. Read our featured news articles and resources about concussion.
Preventing concussion through community programs
Children’s Colorado and the Concussion Program are also focused on injury prevention through a variety of programs, including a partnership with Safe Kids.
What services does our Concussion Program offer?
- Same-day or next-day appointments when questions arise within the first few weeks after a concussion
- Consultation to help with decisions about when a young athlete should return to play sports
- Medical examination to evaluate and treat common problems seen after a concussion
- Neuropsychological evaluation to assess thinking areas potentially affected, such as attention and memory
- Advanced brain imaging techniques when needed
- Coordination with primary health providers, athletic staff, educators, and other relevant personnel
- Development of treatment plans to support recovery, deal with school problems, and manage changes in behavior or adjustment
- Referrals as needed to specialists in physical/occupational therapy, education, behavioral health, and related medical disciplines
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call (720) 777-2806. We are happy to consult with parents or referring providers before a patient is seen at Children’s Colorado.
Insurance benefits and referrals
Some insurance companies require a referral from a primary care provider before appointments can be arranged. Once a referral is in place, most insurance companies will cover specialty care visits for patients with concussions.