Patients and families are at the center of the Orthopedics Institute, which is why we offer our time and expertise to promote health and injury prevention in the community.
- In 2010, members of our Concussion Program team advocated and led youth concussion legislation, resulting in new protective measures in Colorado and Wyoming. Learn more about Senate Bill 40.
- Our Hospital Sports Program, established in the 1960s and one of the first programs of its kind, helps kids with physical disabilities learn to ski, snowboard and enjoy a variety of recreational activities. This program helps children build strength, endurance and self-confidence, while serving as a national benchmark for similar programs around the United States.
- With support from the Child Health Advocacy Institute, we offer specialized car seats to young patients who have had certain surgeries. This is a helpful resource for families because babies and young kids typically can’t use a traditional car seat after surgery if they’re in a hip spica cast.
- In partnership with the Heart Institute, we support the placement of automated external defibrillators (AEDs, which help save lives after a cardiac event) in schools. We’re helping to raise awareness of the importance of AEDs through local events and publicity efforts.
Our Sports Medicine team is actively involved in advocating for the health and safety of young athletes.
- In 2010, Adams 12 Five Star School Districtand Children’s Hospital Colorado formed a partnership to preserve the health and wellness of the district’s high school athletes by staffing a certified athletic trainer (ATC) at each of the district’s five high schools. The athletic trainers are at their school daily to provide medical coverage for practices, games and tournaments. In addition, Children’s Colorado offers free annual Comprehensive Athletic Physicals to all of the district’s high school students.
- In 2011, Children's Colorado partnered with Real Colorado Soccer, one of the top soccer clubs in the nation, to promote the health and wellness of Real Colorado athletes. As the preferred healthcare provider for Real Colorado, members of our Sports Medicine Program for Young Athletes offer state-of-the-art, comprehensive pediatric care to all Real Colorado members. This includes providing on-site medical care at tournaments, staffing an athletic trainer that is integrated into the club full time and providing ongoing educational seminars on topics such as sports nutrition and sudden cardiac death.
Learn more about our top-ranked Orthopedics Institute.