Our Sports Medicine Center leads the region in state-of-the-art treatment for developing athletes. From maximizing your diet to changing the game in concussion research, our agile, fully integrated team of physicians, athletic trainers, physical therapists, dieticians and specialists delivers a full-service care experience geared exclusively to growing bodies, and it’s all backed by one of the top-five pediatric hospitals in the U.S.
This is just the beginning.
What makes our program unique?
At Children’s Colorado, our board-certified sports medicine experts only see young athletes. Because our team is specially trained in pediatrics, we understand how an injury may impact growth, or how growth might impact rehabilitation. We also offer supportive care in areas like sports nutrition and sports psychology. In partnership with other top specialists at Children’s Colorado, we are always developing new programs for sports-related conditions. For example, our team is partnering with pediatric pulmonologists from the Breathing Institute to develop a new sports asthma program.
Our program offers pediatric-specific resources like x-ray and MRI machines, operating rooms, and dedicated sports therapy gyms. And, through the Center for Gait and Movement Analysis we offer unique research opportunities, including studies on how 3-D motion capture may be used to help optimize sports performance.
Beyond the clinic, experts from Sports Medicine Center provide community-based support by staffing certified athletic trainers at regional high schools, as well as at a local soccer club. Learn more about our work in the community.
Why the team approach?
Accurate assessment and age-appropriate therapies are very important when treating young athletes who are still growing and developing as they recover from and manage an injury.
Using our team’s collective pediatric expertise, we’re able to develop an integrated treatment plan for each patient. This team approach compliments each athlete’s situation and facilitates their rehabilitation back into sports.
Why choose Sports Medicine Center at Children’s Colorado?
The combination of pediatric sports medicine expertise, dedicated pediatric facilities and state-of-the-art technology at Children’s Colorado is unique in our region. Plus, our same-day or next-day appointments at locations throughout Colorado help us return players to their sport as safely and quickly as possible.
What services does Sports Medicine Center offer?
- Same-day or next-day appointments at locations throughout Colorado
- Sports physical therapy services, including two dedicated sports therapy gyms
- Concussion diagnosis, management and direct referral to the Concussion Program
- Fracture management with same-day x-rays, splinting and casting for broken bones
- Dedicated sports medicine surgeons, experienced in treating youth to professional athletes
- Consultations regarding sports nutrition, sports psychology, sports related breathing issues, injury related complications, and return to sport evaluations
- Sports nutrition consultation offerings personalized for the young athlete to optimize their sports performance
- Community education for primary care providers, parents, athletic directors, coaches and athletic trainers
- Sideline and event coverage by physicians and athletic trainers for several high schools and sports clubs in metro-Denver
- Opportunities to participate in innovative research projects focused on understanding the efficacy of different treatment approaches for youth sports injuries
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call (720) 777-3899. We are happy to consult with parents or referring providers before a patient is seen at Children’s Colorado.
Insurance benefits and referrals
Some insurance companies require a referral from a primary care provider before appointments can be arranged. Once a referral is in place, most insurance companies will cover specialty care visits for patients with concussions.